Charter members of delta chi omega Chapter
It all started when...
In April 1948, a voluntary group of determined AKA's compiled a list of twenty-five persons in Evanston who were AKA's. All were invited ato a meeting. From this day on, the wheels were steadily moving which were to bring our Evanston Chapter into activation and make the dreams a realization. A charter had been granted back in 1944, and paid for by Fredrica Smith of Waukegan. Obstacles impeded the progress; however, the Regional Director indicated that the charter was still valid and all that was needed was ten members.
They were privileged to have nineteen members willing to be charter members. Their names were submitted and approved by Mrs. Lucille Wilkins, the Regional Director at that time. On June 25, 1948, Mrs. Wilkins, accompanied by Mrs. Irma Clark, and Mrs. Arlene Washington, a former Regional Director, traveled to Evanston and established the chapter in the home of one of the members. There was a ceremony, followed by a candlelight dinner.
- In 1959, first African American group to host formal event in the Evanston North shore Hotel.
- In June 1972, a photo of chapter's top scholars featured on the coveted cover page of The Evanston Review.
- Received the Evanston NAACP's Heritage Award and the Evanston North Shore YWCA's Women Leadership Award, honoring its years of community service.
- Awarded a $10,000 scholarship to a single recipient in recognition of sorority's centennial celebration.
- In 2008, Delta Chi Omega became the first African American organization to serve as grand Marshall of the Evanston 4th of July parade, marching with sorority officials, including the International President and Central Region director, as well as Lorraine Morton, then mayor of Evanston.
- In 2009, the chapter's Financial Literacy program was recognized at the Central Regional Conference.
President Vice President Recording Secretary Corresponding Secretary Hostess Financial Secretary Treasurer Graduate Advisor Historian Reporter Parliamentarian Sergeant at Arms
Debra Hill Janice Jones-Payne Johari Shuck Kimberly Washington Tanya Jenkins Felicia Hardy Stella Salisu-Hickman ---- Adrianne Hayward Ava Greenwell Deldri Dugger Kesha Birch-Sims
Archives Audit Budget & Finance Bylaws Connections Courtesy Leadership Development Membership Nominating Program Publicity Risk Management Rituals 70th Anniversary Sisterly Relations Standards Technology
Adrianne Hayward Patricia Vance Stella Salisu-Hickman Deldri Dugger Kathy Bradley Tanya Jenkins Michelle McClure Lacy Latisha Bell Ashanti Madlock-Henderson Janice Jones-Payne Ava Greenwell Janice Jones-Payne Towanda Redmond Stella Salisu-Hickman/Eleva Riley Santrice Martin Sandra Hill Rachel N. Redmond